Monday, May 9, 2016

Lousia May Alcott Fever

     Hello everyone! I'm here today with- surprise, surprise!- another book review. Well, book reviewS, actually. I, as many of you are, am obsessed with Louisa May Alcott's Little Women. You kindred spirits can probably easily imagine my delight when my aunt sent my sister and me a stack of books, including Good Wives, the sequel to Little Women. Imagine my even greater delight to, after finishing Good Wives, finding the third book in the series, Little Men. Imagine my greatest delight of all to find a fourth book, Jo's Boys, which a librarian actually had to dig out from the archives in the basement. Anything for Alcott, right? So much delight!!!

     So, I am giving you book reviews on Little Women, Good Wives, Little Men, AND Jo's Boys. I hope you have just as fun of a time reading these books as I did!




                                       

Grown-up Meg, boyish Jo, timid Beth, and dainty Amy couldn't be more different. But in hard times with Father at war and Marmee working hard, the girls must rely on one another. Whether it's putting on a play, celebrating Christmas, or forming a secret society, life is certainly never dull with the March girls around.




                                   

It's now the time for the beloved March girls to begin to make their own name in the world. Through marriages, girlish fancies, and scrapes, the girls must find the marvelous things they have dreamed of doing themselves. When tragedy occurs, the girls must turn for comfort in each other and their homes.




                                    

With two young boys of her own and twelve rescued orphan boys all living at her school Plumfield, Jo March- now Mrs. Bhaer- is happier than ever. But the boys have a tendency for getting in scrapes and Mr. and Mrs. Bhaer have certainly have their hands full.




                                     

A whole ten years after Plumfield was founded, Jo's boys are now growing up and discovering more about the world. But life after childhood can be terribly confusing, and it is only Jo and the March family who can comfort and guide the young men when they need it most.




Thank you so much for reading! Have a great day!










     

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Zoe! You are an amazing writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoe, this is so much fun! I LOVE that you are doing book reviews on your blog! After I read a great book, there's nothing I want to do more than GET OTHER PEOPLE EXCITED ABOUT READING IT!

    I'm so glad you are a Louisa May Alcott fan. I am too. Have you read any of the biographies about her growing up years? She had a really interesting childhood. Her father, Bronson Alcott, was friends with Henry David Thoreau, the famous American writer. Louisa's father led them on a lot of experimental, unusual experiences.

    Back to your book reviews: which of the 4 was your favorite? I think *Good Wives* might be mine, but I do really love *Little Women.*

    Also, have you read *An Old Fashioned Girl* and *Rose in Bloom?* I loved those a lot too.

    Anyway, thanks for this great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's hard! I love them all, but I've read "Little Women" and "Little Men" so much I wouldn't be giving them the credit they deserve.

      Delete
  3. I have never read the books you reviewed--but you sure got me interested! I'd repeat Christy's question: Which one is YOUR favorite?

    ReplyDelete